Strong College Committees and Projects
All Guilford students sign up to participate in at least two projects per academic year. Projects hold regular planning meetings and small programs in preparation for the final events.
Upper Class Mentor Committee
To get things started in the fall, the members of this committee run a series of events during Orientation week. These events include Welcome Night Spaghetti dinner, visit to the Natural Science Center, curriculum orientation, and ‘follow your schedule’ tours. During the rest of the year, the upper class mentors provide leadership for the community and assist the hall council with their activities.
- Staunton Retreat: One weekend in September, we travel to Staunton, Virginia, to attend two Shakespeare plays and enjoy some community building activities in this beautiful small town in the Shenandoah Valley.
- Halloween Dance: Held annually on the Thursday before Halloween, this celebratory occasion is a chance for students to build a greater sense of community by dressing in costumes and challenging one another to dance contests.
- Holiday Tea: We invite faculty members to tea on the last Monday of classes in Fall Semester. We toast to the semester coming to a close, and reminisce about our experiences.
- Arts and Crafts Festival: Strong College students showcase their artistic talents in front of an audience. The Arts and Crafts Festival each April displays student artwork and/or music, dance, or dramatic performances. The festival is held during a Spring recruitment event, and current students, prospective students, families, and other guests make up the audience.
- Lemur Fest: One Saturday in Spring Semester, we host a Lemur Day featuring various carnival activities like face painting, cornhole tournaments, and food.
- Sustainability Dinner: Members of the Sustainability Committee prepare a delicious dinner with local and sustainable foods to showcase all local shopping and recipes.
- Membership/ Yearbook: Students coordinate Strong College’s participation in three Admissions Events – Spartan Showcase in October and Destination UNCG in March and April. Strong students represent the Residential College and the University to prospective students and their families. All year long, the members of this committee take pictures and collect memories for a digital yearbook, which is shared at the end-of-year Strong Commencement.
- Garden Plot: Strong maintains a garden plot that throughout the year, growing seasonal vegetables and herbs, which we harvest for our Sustainability Dinner and other cooking events.
- Weekly Tea: In keeping with a long standing Strong College tradition, our Tea Time committee hosts tea and snacks each Tuesday afternoon at 5:00. Members lead discussions and games to promote community building.
- Weekly Movie Night: Members of the movie night committee host weekly screenings of films and television shows based on student interests.